Having dropped most of its Covid restrictions, China resumed the issuance of visas for foreign nationals on 8 January 2023. In this article, we explain the current visa application process and how CBBC can help with an invitation letter for an M (business) visa
Applicants for an M visa should apply via the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre (CVASC) website (select the visa centre nearest to you). You will be required to fill in an online visa application form, including a recent photograph, and then make an in-person appointment at the visa centre using the reservation form (access the application form and appointments via the ‘Quick Access’ section of CVASC website). You should submit your application at least one month before your trip but not earlier than three months.
Before going to your appointment, you will need to print out and sign the application form and a separate declaration (see here) and print out the reservation form.
Other documents you should prepare include:
- Passport with at least six months’ validity and two blank pages
- Photocopies of the passport’s ID page
- Photocopies of previous Chinese visas (plus photocopies of any previous passports that contained Chinese visas)
- An invitation letter including the applicant’s details; details of the planned visit (including purpose, dates, locations, etc.); details of the inviting party (including official stamp, signature of the legal representative or individual, and Chinese ID if the inviting party is a Chinese individual)
- Recent passport photo (in case of any issues with the photo uploaded with your form)
At the appointment, show your reservation form, and you will be given a queue number and called forward to a desk. You will then be asked to submit your documents and have your fingerprints collected. In some cases, you may need to submit to a short interview. At the end of your appointment, you will pay the visa fee and receive a pick-up form to show when collecting your passport.
Please check the CVASC website for specific document requirements, processing times and fees.
How CBBC can help with your visa application
To support your application for an M visa, it is necessary to have an invitation letter (sometimes called a Visa Notification Form) from a Chinese company or Government Department. CBBC can provide such a letter for company employees who are visiting China on business.
Click here to apply for a CBBC visa invitation letter
Simply click the link above to get started (you will need to create an account on the CBBC website). As part of your request, you will need to upload the following documents (where applicable):
- A clear scanned copy of the photo page within the applicant’s passport
- UK residence certification letter if nationality is not British (excluding EU citizens).
CBBC Visa Invitation Letter Service Fees:
CBBC Members: £30.00 + VAT
Non-Members: £50.00 + VAT
When will I receive my Visa invitation letter?
Once you have submitted your letter request and made the online payment, our team in China will process your data and issue the invitation letter within 3-4 working days.
The CBBC invitation letter is not your Chinese visa, it is a supporting document. Read the information above for more information on applying for your Chinese business visa.
To obtain a visa for China, your passport must be valid for at least six months from the planned date of entry
Allow enough time before your visit to obtain the letter and complete the formal visa application process through the Chinese Visa Service Centre in London, Manchester, Edinburgh or Belfast.
Note: Visa requirements may be subject to change. Please check the website of the Embassy of China or the Chinese Visa Application Service Center nearest to you for the most up-to-date guidance.